Sunday, September 5, 2010

Service with a Surprise

So, I've been planning special surprises for my Daddy's birthday. It's been a long time in the making - I'd sorta planned the surprise very early on this year, and I've been actively working to make the surprise come to life in the last few months.

It brings me into something of a bind - these sorts of surprises don't seem to gel well with the idea of honest service. After all, aren't I supposed to be open and honest with my Daddy?

The answer of course, is much more complicated than that. Birthdays are one of those events where surprises are not only tolerated, but almost expected, and looked forward to. Also, while I was kinda hoping that I'd be able to keep the lid on the surprise right up until Daddy's birthday, it's existence was revealed, mostly due to my lapse, but there you go. This has meant, however, that Daddy has been an active agent in keeping the surprise away from him - he doesn't want to know! This makes my life a whole lot easier, although I've been told that a lot of my confederates in the surprise have been rather on eggshells, being terrified that they'll give away the secret. Of course, I was prepared for this eventuality, so I tell Daddy I'm doing something different every time he asks what I'm getting for his birthday. Among the list of things that I've told him are:
  • A Pimp-mobile
  • A golden cane
  • A lifetime supply of toothpaste
  • A pony
  • More fairy bread than there is in the world
  • A slave
And I have plenty more up my sleeve as well. This kind of fun and games with my Daddy is actually really fun - he gets to be excited about surprises, and I get to be the one that surprises him on his birthday. It's going to be fantastic.

I'd like to enthuse more about how awesome the whole process has been, but of course, this blog is specifically for my Daddy - don't want to accidentally spoiler him before the big day! Suffice to say though, that when he knows...

He's going to be stunned.

No comments:

Post a Comment