Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Romanticising Suffering

Todays Psych session was oddly relevant today, to my BDSM stuff.

We were talking about my Daddy's breakup, and while I thought I'd have some serious conflicts about it, it turns out that my emotions are actually nice and straightforward - I'm sad that my Daddy is sad, and I'm sad that I likely won't be seeing a person I liked very often from this point. But that's about it, really - I have no real conflicts about the whole kibosh.

But it brought up a more interesting question - why I thought there would be more complex emotions involved. He pointed out to me an odd phenomenon which comes up a lot in my mind - the fact that I almost strive for suffering, like it's a good thing.

Now, don't get me wrong - to suffer at the hands of your dominant is not necessarily a bad thing. But I have this view in my head that I must suffer - that I always take the hard road, always do things by the least efficient method, that I don't feel I've accomplished anything if I didn't suffer through it. Really, I've put this romantic spin on suffering, and I think part of that is that the suffering that I've been through in life has lead me to the person I am now, with all it's kindness, compassion, and willingness to listen.

But the fact is, I don't need suffering to learn things. I don't need to suffer through everyday life to learn things in life, I can just, you know, learn stuff by looking around. There's no need to complicate things by pushing myself to inflict pain and woe upon me just because it builds character.

1 comment:

  1. I was kind of shocked as I read this, because of how much it rang true for my own view on life.

    I always expect things to be about 10x as hard, as painful, as intense, as they really turn out to be. And strangely, it leaves me feeling unfulfilled and unsatisfied, rather than pleasantly surprised. I felt this way when I had my sex change and it didn't hurt as much as I expected. I feel this when I open up to people and I'm not attacked or fought or hurt as much as I expected to be. Like... like I've done something wrong, or maybe they don't really understand, because they are reacting too calmly.

    I've always seen it as a negative thing for me, a self-sabotaging, self-destructive desire. These days, I'm not so sure. I feel like I'm on the verge of realising something really big... but I'm not quite there yet.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete