Saturday, October 6, 2012

Inklings: Playing Cute



If there's one thing that anyone who's met me will say about me, it's that I'm cute. Not cute as in good-looking, although I like to think I am too! But that every part of my interaction, from my posture to how I speak, is cute. I make cute noises, I play cute, I have cute thoughts and I say cute things.

I'll admit, it's all real. I am that cute. But at the same time, I'll admit, it's a ploy. It's a calculated play on your emotions. All my cute behaviour is used for a single, overarching goal: To let you know that I'm no threat to you. My past has been full of people who have hurt me or attacked me in a myriad of ways, and to stay safe, I spend a huge amount of energy projecting as non-threatening an image as I possibly can.

But of course, spending so much time being cute has it's downsides. Because sometimes it's important to be able to register as a threat. It's important to be able to break the happy façade and express your anger if someone has wronged you, and real anger is not particularly cute. And it also means that people can mistake you for a doormat, and I've already talked about that.

But then, well apart from the people not hurting me, there's plenty of other advantages too. Like people being able to talk to me without apprehension. Like being complimented by my Daddy all the time.

So in short, being Cute is innocent, cynical, frustrating and liberating. The paradox that is cute, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment