Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 21: Kink Literature

Part of my 30 Days of Kink

Day 21: Favorite BDSM related book (fiction or non-fiction)

I'll be honest - I don't often read much outside the internet these days - one of those hobbies that have been crowded out by the internet. Still, I have a few favourite books on Kink and related stuff.

In terms of fiction, about the most BDSMy book I've enjoyed is Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not that brilliant a book. But, it's a damn sight better than the Gor novels I've read. Yeah, I've read them. I bought them from a second hand bookshop in Adelaide, thinking they couldn't possibly be that bad.

Boy, how wrong I was. I finished reading one, and then vowed to hide the rest of the novels, to save the world from such terrible, terrible writing. The subject matter? Meh. I can understand the appeal of the world he describes. I just find it incredible that people could wade through the writing within it!

But I digress.

In terms of non-fiction, I absolutely loved The Ethical Slut. It was a book that showed me a whole lot about opening myself up for the kinds of love and desires that have opened up for me since dating Daddy. To be fair, I'm still working on putting a lot of what I learnt in those books to use, but it was still quite the influential book to me. It helped me understand that yes, I can be poly and it can be alright. I can be in a kinky relationship and it's alright. And at the time, it was exactly the book I needed. So honestly, even though the book isn't technically BDSM-related, without it I'm not sure I could have genuinely opened myself up to the kind of relationship that I've gotten myself into, and frankly, I think that more than counts.

1 comment: