Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 25: Openness

Part of my 30 Days of Kink

Day 25: How open are you about your kinks?

Well...

The answer, honestly, is not much outside the kink scene and my friends. I actually work for a large bank, in a pretty heavy corporate culture, and while I'm out to a few of my co-workers there, It's something I keep pretty close to my chest. I typically keep my collar out of sight (usually by keeping my top button up) at work, when I keep it out in other aspects of my life I don't give any clues to it's true purpose. My family, for the most part, don't have much of an idea (My Uncle is himself a Leatherman, so of course I'm out to him, and I'm pretty sure my Dad has an inkling of my life, but I don't discuss it openly with him). And, as you're probably noting, my real name does not appear anywhere on this blog, and I do not link to this blog fron anywhere bar my Twitter (not under my usual pseudonym) and my Fetlife accounts.

A lot of this is just because, well, Kink can still get you fired, without recourse. Even in progressive corporations, it only takes one creep to make the whole thing fall around you. And frankly, I appreciate being able to pay rent and keep my benefits. Even this weekend, when I'll actually be performing in public on stage, I'm going to be wearing a mask for the entire time, because I just can't know what reactions people may have to knowing this is what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment